Skip to main content

Our communities are full of resources that can help you or your loved ones. They provide food and shelter and other services we all need to feel safe, secure, and supported.

You will also find the complaints process on this page.

Description of Resources

From Membertou to Acadia, there are resources available for Mi’kmaw families in need. These resources include food banks, legal aid, health services, mental health services, substance abuse services, and other critical resources.

Internal Complaint Process

Step 1

The first thing you should do is talk to your social worker. Explain how you feel, why you feel that way, and what you would like to see happen. Often the problem will get resolved right there and then.

Step 2

If the problem is not resolved, the next thing to do is contact the Supervisor. Whether you call or write a letter, the Supervisor will set up a meeting with you to try to help you and the worker reach an agreement. Your social worker will be invited to the meeting as well. Within 10 working days of requesting a meeting, you will get a written report on what was decided upon during the meeting.

Step 3

If you feel there is still a problem, you have the right to call or write to the Executive Director or Assistant Executive Director. Within 10 working days of your contact, you will get a written report based on what was decided.

Step 4

If you feel there is still a problem, you have the right to contact the Regional Child Welfare Specialist. After contact has been made, you can expect to receive a report about your problem within 15 working days.

Step 5

At this point, if you still feel dissatisfied, you can contact the Director of Child Welfare at the provincial Department of Community Services. The Director will reply to you with a written report of what was decided within 20 working days of hearing from you.

With the written consent of the client, an elected band council member can participate at any stage of the process, when a client has a disagreement.

Get it Settled

Please note: This pamphlet does not apply if the matter is before the Court.  Please discuss it with your lawyer.

External Complaint Process

If you have a complaint or concern, you can submit it to the Ombudsman of Nova Scotia. Complaints can be made in writing, in-person at the ombudsman’s office, or by phone, e-mail, fax.


Email, Phone, or Fax

  • Email, phone 1 (800) 670-1111, or fax 1 (902) 424-6675 and be ready to provide the following information:
    • Your first and last name (required)
    • Contact information: (one or more required)
    • Telephone number
    • E-mail address
    • Mailing address
    • Preferred method of contact? (required)
    • If contact by telephone is preferred, may we leave a message at the number provided?
    • Description of your concern, including the department or area of government you have been dealing with. (required)
    • What steps have you taken to resolve your concern? (required)
    • Who have you been in contact with regarding your concern? Please include specific names or titles. (required)
    • What are your expectations regarding how your concern may be resolved?


  • Mail your complaint with the details from Email, Phone, or Fax to the following address:

    Nova Scotia Office of the Ombudsman
    P.O. Box 2152
    Halifax, NS  B3J 3B7


  • You can visit the office of the Ombudsman to submit your complaint. The address is:

    5657 Spring Garden Road Suite 200 (Park Lane Terraces)
    Halifax, NS  B3J 3R4

© 2024 Mi'kmaw Family & Children's Services